- Sunrise School
- Location: Sherman Oaks, California
- Phone: 877-994-3588
- Type(s): Coed, High School, Junior High School, Pre-Teen
- Website: http://sunriseschool.net/
Sunrise School offers comprehensive special education day school programs for students, ages 5 through 21, with moderate to severe global delays associated with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disabilities. The primary goal is to enable each student to realize his or her fullest potential and to become as independent as possible.
This program has not yet been claimed. If this is your program, contact us HERE.
About Therapeutic Boarding Schools in California
California Therapeutic Boarding SchoolsIn California, there are few residential facilities such as alternative and therapeutic boarding schools. They are licensed and regulated by the State of California Health and Human Services Agency under very strict standards, which makes it difficult for such entities to exist. These social rehabilitation facilities are subject to both general licensing requirements and function-specific standards. These regulations drive up costs so much that most organizations cannot afford to operate.
- Accreditation is optional
- The Accrediting Commission of Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is one of six regional accrediting agencies in the United States. WASC conducts a comprehensive accreditation of public and private schools and maintains a directory of accredited California schools.
- Registration is mandatory.
- Private schools are required to file an affidavit annually with the superintendent of public instruction between the first and fifteenth day of October. Cal. Educ. Code §33190. See Recordkeeping and Reports.
- Licensing has no requirements.
- Approval is optional.
- California does not approve private schools. However, nonpublic, nonsectarian special education schools enroll both privately enrolled and public school-placed students and therefore, are considered a type of private school. These schools are certified by the California Department of Education to provide special education services. See Special Education. Cal. Educ. Code §56836.2.
See also: https://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/ed/non-public-education/regulation-map/california.html